The PCC brought 3 reefers into town, picked up one mty that was set out in the pass, and had 3 loads to pick up. The two loads in the first photo (3964) are being rolled down off their spot on Smith's spur into the clear on the main (never mind where Joe's standing Paul!); the reefers just visible behind the long hood would become the two we'd take to spot in the following photos. They're the two being rolled by the power in the 2nd photo (3969). The power is sitting on the Smith spur.
In the 3rd photo, (3973) we've rolled out of the Smith's spur, and crossed over onto the only remaining, active, remnant of the Walla Walla Valley Ry (the former branch main to Umapine) on what is now a very worn, awkward, series of cut off turnouts, just crossing the highway to reach a spur leading down to Earl Brown & Sons -- apple packers who have loaded on that spur for about 8 decades. They're still loading reefers with apples . . . I'm glad to see that Railex hasn't sucked this business to Wallula!
Photo 4 (3979) -- Kent eases the two mtys around a interurban curve heading for the packing house.
Photo 5 (3986) -- Joe's spotting Kent, it is now damn near dark. A year ago I'd have onyl been able to watch, let alone see the detail in that apple crate (unthinkable with Provia) and the camera would be locked up in the car . . . but now I'm still able to keep shooting.
Photo 6-7 (3988) -- cut off the reefers at Browns, and passing the stacks of crates (3989).
Photo 8-9 (3994) passing back over the WWV remnant to double over onto their loads; 3997, picking up the new-hire brakeman after he flagged the crossing (interesting silhoutte as he climbs up the wrong / fireman side.
Photo 10 (3999) -- backed-up cars illuminate the stubbed switches that are now the WWV main.
Photo 11 (4011) -- making a joint on the loads.
I began this sequence of photos at 1/125 at F/4, ISO 800, and ended at 1/60 at F/2.8 at ISO 3200 (for all but two, actually). This sure beats the streaky, perhaps somewhat recognizable photos I would have taken, had I had the film to waste . . . .










No comments:
Post a Comment